The Most Important Rules for Online Dating
Unless you have been living under a rock, you probably know that online dating is pretty much the only way to meet someone when you are in college. When you are busy studying, you don’t want to go out and snag somebody – it can really be inconvenient. However, online dating allows you to hook up with just the swipe of your screen. And let’s face it, online dating isn’t really online dating – it’s online meeting and then hooking up. Right now, there are a lot of dating websites that allow you the opportunity to find a match. However, you need to know some of the rules before you engage in the online dating world.
Here are some of the most important rules for online dating…
- Always use a current or recent profile picture. Most dating websites will allow you the opportunity to add a default photo. This is the photo used to let people know what you look like – duh. When you add a photo, you want to make sure that it is current. The last thing you want is to fool somebody into thinking that you are younger than you really are – it will only invite disappointment when you meet in person.
- Be honest about your likes and interests. Another option you have when you set up a profile on a dating website is to add your likes and interests. For instance, you may add your favorite musical artist, movie and you may describe what you like doing on your day off. Ideally, you want to be honest, because if you meet someone in person and he asks about your likes and interests, you better be knowledgeable. The last thing you want is to be questioned and then have no idea what you are talking about.
- Know exactly what you want. Online dating websites also allow you the opportunity to add information regarding what you want from a person. If you are looking for a relationship, you want to put down that you are looking for a serious fling. If you are looking for a one-night stand, you want to mention this. You can think of online dating as an invisible contract. Whatever you write in your profile will be in your contract. The last thing you want is to be dishonest – it will hurt you and it will waste the guy’s time.
- Don’t expect that every photo you see is an accurate photo. Just like you want your default photo to be up to date and an honest representation of who you are, you can’t really expect anyone else to go by the online dating rules of ethics. This is why you want to be really critical when you see photos – some photos may be ten years old. You can tell if a photo is particularly old if it looks pixelated, or if you can blatantly see old movies playing at movie theaters in the background.
- Learn all the code words and lingo. Online dating also involves a lot of lingo and secret code. Sure, there is the obvious DTF, which means ‘down to fuck,’ but there may be other words and terms that you don’t know. For instance, if a guy says that he is “cuddly” – there is a good chance that he is chubby. Also, if a guy is looking for a girl that is ‘comfortable in her own skin,’ he basically means that he doesn’t want any baggage or drama. Before you start browsing for love online, you will want to brush up on some of your online dating lingo.
- Understand that you will get a lot of corny lines. Just like you get a lot of corny pick up lines in real life, you will also get a lot of corny lines on dating websites. There will be no end to the amount of questions regarding your ‘fall from heaven’ and guys wondering ‘if it hurt.’ In most cases, you just want to ignore it – it’s not going to end anytime soon. Also, you may not want to go out with a guy that uses a corny pick up line.
- Don’t tell anyone where you live – don’t even hint at it. These days, there is no shortage of total weirdoes out there – weirdoes that are very keen on stalking you. This is why you never want to give someone your number on a dating website. Also, you don’t want to put your number on your profile. During your first meeting with someone, you want to meet in a public place – never someplace private.
- Only connect with someone that you feel chemistry with. One of the things about dating websites is that you can’t usually feel the same chemistry that you will feel in person. However, you can feel something online – just in the way you are hitting off. If you share some of the same interests, there is a good chance that you will hit it off in real life too. If you don’t feel this chemistry, you may want to reconsider.
- Be reasonable and practical. Online dating can make it easy to become a total slut – there is no way around this. There are a lot of guys on these dating websites and it will be hard to say no. However, you want to be practical and reasonable – you don’t want to become a slut. It’s okay to say no once and a while. Just like you wouldn’t have sex with 100 guys in one room, you shouldn’t make yourself seem too available when you are online dating.
- Have fun. Of course, the last and perhaps most important online dating rule is to have fun. The truth is that setting up a profile on a dating website can be fun and chatting and flirting with guys can be a thrill. If you learn to have fun when you are online dating, it won’t seem too weird and you may just meet someone really special.
“image is a copyrighted photo of model(s)”