Compatibility can be one of the most important things in a relationship – perhaps the most important thing. If you aren’t compatible if feels a little bit like trying to jam the wrong key into a lock – no matter how hard you push or change angles, nothing seems to fit or work. Yet, luckily there are a number of ways to gauge compatibility, so that you know that you are with someone you can really gel with, and not just lube with –for the long haul. Here are some ways to know if you are compatible with a guy.
- How well can you co-exist. When you think about it, lifestyle is an incredibly important factor in deciding whether or not you are compatible with a partner. For instance, if you are the type who likes to go camping, but he enjoys the big city – chances are that you might have some difficulties deciding what to do with your down time. Moreover, if he is more of the party type, but you are a homebody, you have to be realistic about how much you can deal with forced social situations.
- Do you have chemistry? Chemistry is one of those things that is so hard to measure, especially when you really like a person. I mean, there are those people who you have almost instantaneous chemistry with and it feels like you’ve known that person for years, but it’s only been a few seconds. Then there are those people who you try so hard to connect with, but it takes a few dates for the chemistry to get rolling. If there is no chemistry, you really need to ask yourself what it is that you want from that person.
- Appearance isn’t everything, but when it comes to compatibility, it is. I mean, some style differences don’t matter, but if he is the kind of guy who only likes to shower once or twice a week and gets his hair cut once or twice a year, and you’re a germophobe who takes two showers a day, chances are that you aren’t compatible. If you can’t see eye to eye when it comes to hygiene and other major lifestyle choices, every day can feel like a constant difficult compromise.
- Intelligence is another one of those things that most people are willing to sacrifice for looks. But is it really a worthy sacrifice? I guess it all depends on how much talking you want to be doing. If you just want a booty call, then the most important thing is that you both have mutual respect for one another. Although, in a relationship, you need to be able to connect eye to eye. Which is why you want someone who can connect with you, not someone who is constantly asking you questions about what certain words mean. Us college girls are smarter than you think.
- Money. This is another big one. It is also one of the most controversial, especially when it comes to compatibility. I mean, you don’t want to leave someone because he doesn’t make enough money, but it can be difficult being with someone who can’t keep up with you in terms of money. I mean, you want someone to go to movies and concerts with, not someone who has to keep asking his parents for a loan – or worse, you.